If you’re searching for businesses or for customers, or if you want to list your business or service on the Web, the search engine market is alive and well for business clients. The following 30 specialty search engines and Web databases provide a variety of business services, products and specializations. The list is divided by search engines and databases, but we also included a “going green” section with viable directories for sustainable business opportunities, too.
- BizDays: This is a comprehensive business directory that offers services, products and information across all U.S. industries. Search by city, state or by SIC code (industry).
- BPubs: This search engine leads to business articles, publications, tutorials, and other business content exclusive to business start-up and growth.
- Business.com: Business.com guides more than 40 million business buyers a month through the B2B buying cycle with a host of B2B resources designed to help buyers research, find and buy the products and services they need to run their businesses.
- Factiva: This Dow Jones product provides authoritative business news and information, plus sophisticated tools that can help you easily find, monitor, interpret and share the essential information your organization commands.
- Global Business Listing: This search engine, designed for business people, provides searches by search box or by industry category. The directory is updated twice per day for the freshest results.
- Kellysearch: If you need to find U.S. business product and services suppliers, this B2B search engine may help in your quest.
- Masterseek: Masterseek’s global search engine provides quick and free access to, among other things, company profiles, contact information, and descriptions of products and services from more than 45 million companies in 75 countries.
- SBA Search: The Small Business Administration offers a search tool that reaches across federal, state and local government sites and retrieves information on programs, services and resources that help you start, grow and manage your small business. You no longer need to visit multiple government websites to find information you need.
- Search Engine Guide: For general business search tools, check the list after the subcategories. Or, if you need to locate an industry- specific search tool, check one of the subcategories.
- Sourcetool: This directory is one of the fastest and most relevant user-friendly free B2B search engines around. It is the only business to business search engine whose Directory is based on the United Nations Standard Products and Services Code (UNSPSC), which provides the most efficient, flexible and accurate classification of goods and services available.
- Top Ten Wholesale: TopTenWholesale is a vertical search engine that connects buyers of general merchandise wholesale products to manufactures, importers, distributors, auctioneers, independent retailers, flea marketers, drop shippers and any reseller of new and closeouts merchandise.
- TradeSeam: This business network and online destination connects customers, suppliers and service providers — all who have an interest in accelerating the growth of their businesses. You also can compare products and services to get the best deals saving you time and money on your most important business decisions.
- Yext: Check to see how your business appears across the internet, instantly and for free. If you aren’t listed, you can sign up by phone.
- Zapdata: This may be your online source for business sales leads, mailing lists, and market analysis. Their extensive business data, market analysis, personal service, e-commerce functionality, and intuitive interface give you anytime, anywhere access to the information you need when you need it.
- Zibb: Zibb is the business to business search engine of Reed Business , the premier provider of business information to the world. It includes content from across the entire Reed Business portfolio with the addition of selected business to business websites outside of Reed Business.
- Doing Business: Doing Business offers detailed subnational reports, which exhaustively cover business regulation and reform in different cities and regions within a nation. These reports provide data on the ease of doing business, rank each location, and recommend reforms to improve performance in each of the indicator areas.
- Hoovers: Grab your free trial period to dig into comprehensive information about more than 65 million public and private companies. Additionally, Hoovers provides expert industry overviews that gives your research context and authenticity.
- Info USA: If you’re developing or introducing new products, entering new markets, expanding your offerings, or mastering new marketing channels, you can rely on Infogroup to help you achieve results. They provide information, insights and advice to help you target, acquire, manage and retain customers.
- Kompass: You can access Kompass data online with an annual subscription tailored to suit your needs and budget which will allow you to print or download lists, leads and company information all year long.
- Manta: Manta provides users with access to data and analysis from some of the world’s leading business publishers. Search for business listings, profiles, and reports. Manta is ranked the third largest business news/research website by comScore and has an audience of 26 million from the U.S. and around the globe.
- Reference USA: Offering a full-service platform, Reference USA helps users to create marketing plans, to conduct competitive analysis, to raise funds and to locate businesses and people. Their database selections bring real-time access to more than 20 million businesses, 222 million consumers and more.
- U.S. Census Bureau Center for Economic Studies: This site is filled with information, including new public-use data such as Business Dynamics Statistics and Quarterly Workforce Indicators (QWI).
- USHSR Small Business Database: The goal is to build a comprehensive listing of small businesses ready to get involved in the national high speed rail project unfolding across America. The database is updated weekly.
- EcoBusiness Links: Search through environmentally-friendly businesses across all sectors. Many categories have subcategories which you will find on the category pages or linked from them.
- Ecoseek: This is a green product directory for businesses and for consumers. Products range from appliances to green building materials and from health and fitness to pet supplies. You even can search for local restaurants serving local organic foods.
- Ekobai: Locate suppliers who have achieved excellence in environmental, ethical and social issues. There are over 450 global standards and recognized memberships in this database, which buyers and investors can use to screen companies from around the world. These issues include food safety, carbon emissions and sustainable forestry and are increasingly important to consumers and the supply chain.
- Green America: Green America’s Green Business Network is the oldest, largest, and most diverse network of socially and environmentally responsible businesses in America. They link green businesses to the growing marketplace of values-driven consumers. This company also produces the National Green Pages.
- GreenGamma: reen Gamma is a search engine and directory for green services, products and information. If your site concerns solar power, eco-living or is an environmental blog, or promotes green living in any way this directory is for you.
- GreenMaven: GreenMaven currently searches over one million pages that have been approved by Green Maven editors using their approval policy.
- Sustainable Business: This company provides global news and networking services to help green business grow. Rather than covering a slice of the industry, they offer visitors a unique lens on the field as a whole, covering all sectors that impact sustainability: renewable energy/ efficiency, green building, green investing, and organics.