Real estate can still be a good investment, even though the housing bubble’s collapse has had a disastrous effect on the economy. And people across America are still buying and selling property each day. Real estate newbies and experienced professionals can all get excellent real estate news, information, and commentary thanks to some very dedicated bloggers. We’ve searched the Web to find 50 top real estate blogs that we think you just shouldn’t miss. Here they are, arranged into several categories:
Local/Regional Real Estate Blogs
1. Buy And Sell With Shannon : Shannon Register is a realtor in the north Houston area. Her blog was named “Best Real Estate Blog in Texas” by the Mays Business School at Texas A&M.
2. UrbanTrekker : UrbanTrekker’s main blogger is Dewita Soeharjono. She writes about urban housing trends, transportation, and other issues facing the Washington, D.C. metro area.
3. Property Grunt : Have you ever wondered what it must be like to be a realtor in Manhattan? Property Grunt takes you there for a first-hand look. It’s not all pretty.
4. Rain City Guide : With a name like Rain City, it’s got to be about Seattle. And it is. Get all the Seattle real estate news that’s fit to blog about on Rain City Guide.
5. Curbed : Curbed spotlights real estate news and trends in New York City, the Hamptons, Los Angeles and San Francisco. New construction is highlighted, along with renovations projects that impact the public.
6. SpencerBarron.com : A highly active realtor in the Denver area writes commentary and other insights on real estate investing, how to determine a home’s price, and other topics.
7. The Front Steps : One of San Francisco’s most popular real estate blogs, theFrontSteps has over 400,000 readers each year. Alexander Clark is the main writer, an active agent in the Bay Area.
8. YoChicago : Get all of the latest real estate news from the Chicagoland area on YoChicago. Topics include tips for renters and current market conditions.
9. The Boston Real Estate Blog : The real estate agents of Ford Realty in Boston write this blog. Continuously updated, the blog covers real estate news, sales, bidding wars, and more in the Boston area.
10. Brokers First Realty : Atlanta brokerage firm BrokersFirstRealty blogs about the Atlanta real estate market. They invite the reader to comment and participate in the Atlanta real estate discussion.
11. Austin Real Estate Blog : “Late-night observations” from an Austin, TX realtor include market statistics, even charts.
12. Swamplot : America’s fourth largest city (Houston) gets full coverage on this witty real estate blog. New development, news about commercial buildings, and unusual listings are featured.
13. 360 Digest : 360 Digest is another excellent blog about Seattle-area real estate. Its topics extend to technology news, pop culture, and opinion pieces.
14. True Gotham : True Gotham is an influential blog about New York City real estate, published by The Heddings Property Group.
15. Real Estate Zebra : Real Estate Zebra is written by Daniel Rothamel, a Virginia realtor who also officiates NCAA D-III basketball. Therefore, he is a real estate zebra. His blog is written in an inspiring and educational style.
16. St. Paul Real Estate Blog : Teresa Boardman, a St. Paul, MN realtor, writes a thorough and frequently updated blog about St. Paul real estate. Local news, articles about different neighborhoods, and a condo directory are included.
General Real Estate Information
17. Zillow Blog : Zillow is one of the hottest real estate sites online, and their blog has lots of frequently updated information. Both real estate pros and consumers will find good information.
18. The Real Estate Bloggers : These real estate bloggers attempt to make sense out of the nonsense that is the real estate industry. This blog is for consumers and professionals.
19. HomeGain : The HomeGain real estate blog contains content from various real estate brokers, agents, mortgage experts, and other real estate blogs. This blog is written for the industry professional.
20. Matrix : Jonathan Miller is the editor of Matrix, a well-written, well-researched blog about the economy and the real estate market. He has been a real estate appraiser and consultant for over 20 years.
21. The Real Estate Bloggers : Fran and Rowena are California realtors who have been blogging about real estate for over seven years. That’s an impressive stint in the blogosphere!
22. HomeGain Agent Blogs : The Agent Blogs on HomeGain connect you to a wide variety of posts from the HomeGain network of agents.
23. HotProperty : This blog, from the editors of Business Week, focuses on the news and developments in the housing and mortgage markets.
24. Altos Research Real Estate Insights : Altos Research produces real estate reports that real estate professionals around America rely on.
25. Realty Freak : Evan Kane writes about issues facing residential real estate buyers and sellers, in a way that pulls no punches toward the real estate industry as a whole. He’s not afraid to be brutally honest when he feels it’s called for.
Marketing and Technology Advice For Real Estate Pros
26. Sellsius : Sellsius Real Estate Blog, published by Joseph G. Ferrara, Esq., is a comprehensive blog that covers every aspect of real estate. The recent focus has been on innovation in social media and other marketing tech developments.
27. Future of Real Estate Marketing : Joel Burslem blogs about the major impact that the Internet has had on real estate sales. He also provides great tips for helping consumers learn how to shop for homes online.
28. Bloodhound Blog : Strictly written for the real estate professional, by other real estate pros, The Bloodhound Blog provides excellent commentary on real estate marketing and technology.
29. real/diaBlog : Tony Arko, a realtor in Virginia, writes this provocative blog about the way technology has affected the real estate industry. He also discusses the economy and the implications of political involvement in real estate.
30. Real Estate Tomato : The Real Estate Tomato blog is all about teaching real estate agents how to use Web 2.0 technology such as social media and blogging. They offer classes through “Tomato University.”
31. New Rules. New Tools. : Mike Price has been blogging about Web 2.0 for real estate since 2006, as “Mike’s Corner.” Four years later, he’s moved his blog to this address and he’s still focusing on real estate but branching out into other topics.
32. New Condos Online : New Condos Online is a blog that focuses on condominiums. Vacation properties, as well as resort condos and residential condos, are spotlighted here.
33. Overseas Property Mall Blog : This blog is a guide to real estate investment overseas. The site includes reviews of different properties as well as a discussion forum.
34. Roost : Roost is a home search engine that partners with Multiple Listing Services, real estate brokers, and others to give customers the widest variety of listings. Their blog is written for a professional audience.
35. Cyberhomes : Cyberhomes is dedicated to providing high-quality information for real estate buyers and sellers, as well as realtors. Recent topics include tips for homeowners, sustainable building, and interest rate news.
36. Trulia Blog : Trulia is a real estate search and listing showcase site similar to HotPads and Zillow. It won the 2009 Webby Award for real estate. Their blog showcases unusual celebrity listings such as Sheryl Crow’s solar-powered farm.
37. Big Time Listings : Check out listings of famous homes and the homes of the rich and famous on this fun blog. Everyone from sports stars to fashionistas is covered at Big Time Listings.
38. HotPads Blog : HotPads is a website that features an innovative search option based on maps. It won the 2010 Webby Award for real estate. Their blog features different properties and ways for people to use HotPads.
39. Sustainable Green Communities : Ram Shrivastava highlights environmentally-friendly building design on his blog. He’s been blogging about these topics since 2005.
40. Jetson Green : Preston Koerner is the founder and chief editor of Jetson Green, a smart, streamlined blog that highlights the best in sustainable design and the way green design works in the real estate market.
Real Estate Investing
41. Shaun’s Real Estate Adventures : Shaun is a real estate investor who wants people to realize that real estate investing doesn’t have to be super hard. In fact, you can read all about his investments on this blog.
42. The BiggerPockets Blog : BiggerPockets is an online real estate magazine that focuses on providing resources for investors. This excellent blog is updated frequently.
Mortgage and Appraisal Blogs
43. The Housing Bubble Blog : Not for the faint of heart, this sometimes gruesome blog details shocking home value increases, bloody foreclosures, and mutant loans that should have never been made.
44. Mortgage Fraud Blog : Rachel Dollar edits the Mortgage Fraud Blog, which is full of news reports about people around the country who have been found guilty of mortgage fraud-related crimes.
45. Bubble Meter : Bubble Meter tracks the ongoing effects of the housing bubble–the artificially high real estate values that are slowly sinking back to earth. It has national coverage, with particular attention given to the DC area.
46. Lending Clarity : Marc Brinitzer, a mortgage professional for over 20 years, writes this blog to educate the public. He specifically wants to de-mystify underwriting rules for the public and for real estate agents.
47. Appraisal Scoop : A real estate appraiser for the past 25 years, Brian provides news and perspective from the appraiser’s point of view. Topics such as professional certification and technology for the appraiser are covered.
48. Blown Mortgage : This blog has been providing information about free home loan modifications, mortgage solutions and debt relief since 2006. In addition, they have been named one of the top 3 most influential mortgage blogs by Inman News.
49. RealEstateUndressed : Larry Cragun provides a no-hold-barred look at mortgage practices and other issues affecting real estate on his thoughtful blog.
50. The Mortgage Reports : Dan Green, a loan officer at Waterstone Mortgage, writes this intelligent and frequently updated blog about the world of mortgages and real estate.